Friday, February 29, 2008

Stop me before I volunteer again

I offer this fantasy of a friend:

My friend is considering moving to be closer to family and to live somewhere with a lower cost of living. But she daydreams about moving and how great it would be to end all of her volunteer committments. She dreams of freedom. She dreams of putting her girls in already-established Girl Scout troops vs. the TWO she has formed. She dreams of not being the foundation president of her school (having also founded the foundation). She dreams of not being pressured to be PTA president. She dreams of not being on the committee in charge of countless fundraisers. She dreams of being a mom with time for her children.

I know exactly how she feels. I'm sure a lot of women do. When my husband was job hunting and the offer came from Portland, my mind was reeling with the possibilities of no longer being responsible for x, y and z (and some more of the alphabet).

With current budget woes at home and in every budget across the nation, every activity or place your child goes to is in desperate need of funds -- school, church, sports, scouts, dance, whatever. Everyone needs volunteers and fundraisers.

I am presently school site council chair, room mom, baseball team mom for two teams, basketball team mom, Reflections chairperson, PTA parliamentarian and I'm sure there are a couple more that I am forgetting about because I do them automatically and don't even think about it any more.

Many moms I know can list just as much if not more. My oldest has only reached third grade. We have a lot of years left.

Is there really a stage in life where our "fantasies" are NOT volunteering for something?!

No comments: