Friday, February 01, 2008

I just want one doctor

My oldest son is sick today and needs to see his pediatrician. He doesn't like going to the doctor. There is a high level of anxiety that is alleviated somewhat by the fact that he has been seeing the same doctor his entire life. He trusts Doctor X. It's still stressful, but not as bad as it could be.

I call the doctor's office this morning, only to be informed that their new policy is that I must see whatever doctor is available first. Today Doctor Y is available at 11. My sons see Doctor X.

"Does Doctor X have any available appointments?"
"You have to take the first doctor available. Doctor Y has an 11 a.m."
"Yes, but does Doctor X have anything today?"
"Doctor X is very busy. The patients like him, but we have to fill up the other doctors appointments."

Yes. That is the point. The other doctors in the office aren't nearly as desirable. They make you wait for hours. They don't listen when you try to give them some medical history on your child. I know this from experience with them and from talking to other moms in the waiting room. Moms talk. Moms listen. Moms remember.

Turns out Doctor X has an 11:30 a.m. that I finally procured with the warning that they wouldn't do this again.

I can see trouble on the horizon...

No comments: