Monday, February 18, 2008

Cough, hack, wheeze

One of the things I dread as a parent is the sound of one of my children coughing. Even just a slight clearing of their throat will catch my attention. It's like the church bells calling the faithful. The ever-so-little cough around lunch time heralds a long, long night of wheezing and coughing, steamy showers to clear air passages, the non-stop hum of the humidifier and an exhausted mommy.

When I was working fulltime, my mind would slip into hyper gear: "What meetings can I postpone?" "How many sick days do I have left?" "How will I juggle this?"
Stay-at-home momming lets me relax a bit. I just have to accept cancelling everything on the calendar and actually staying at home. Sometimes it's a welcome time to slow down and just sit and hold my children. Of course, anyone who has held a sick child or two for a long period of time knows its not quite that easy.

My husband poo-poos my first feelings of dread with a your-overreacting look. I know I'll get him back around 1 a.m. when the first one shows up in our bedroom barking like a seal and complaining that he can't breathe.
And it turns out true, we are all wheezing and coughing and snuggling in on this Presidents Day.

No comments: