Tuesday, March 31, 2009

They start so young

I worked the kindergarten spring party this morning. Woo hoo! I was in charge of the jellybean sorting and graphing table. (Sadly the jelly beans did not taste that good, even before the kids mauled them).

Everyone is being good and putting their green jelly beans in one pile, the pink ones in another pile, etc. Then they have to color blocks on the graphing page for each jelly bean (i.e., I have 6 green jelly beans, I color 6 blocks in the green row. Green is Neil's favorite color right now by the way.)

Two little boys start to argue over the blue/purple ones. "No it's purple." "No it's blue." I suggested they each decide for themselves and stop arguing.

"But they are arch enemies, Mom," Neil says.

"What?"

"They are arch enemies," he repeats.

The boys look at me smiling and nodding.

"You are in kindergarten. You can't have an arch enemy yet..."

That's when at least 6 boys turn to me all saying, "I have an arch enemy..."

Kindergarten is not what it used to be.


No comments: